- The concept for Estonian Health Tracks is born. The goal of the project is to organize and develop a network of Estonian recreational and sport trails to ensure that the public has year-round, free of charge access to trails and to popularize active lifestyles.
- Viru Keskus shopping centre and the Tallink City Hotel are completed, as is the headquarters of Hansabanka (now Swedbank) in Riga. The latter wins the International Real Estate Federation FIABCI’s grand prize for commercial and industrial space – the first winner in the Baltic states.
- Merko establishes an electrical engineering department, which remains among the market leaders to this day.
- The company’s management system is given certification under international occupational health and safety standard OHSAS 18001.
- AS Merko Ehitus wins the title of the Most Competitive Company in the area of construction.