- At Baltic Market Awards 2015 competition, organised by NASDAQ OMX Baltic stock exchanges, AS Merko Ehitus receives third place in the category “The Best Investor Relations in the Baltic market” and second place in the category „The Best Annual and Corporate Governance Report“. The goal of the competition was to raise the general level of investor relations among listed companies by recognizing the ones that stood out during the year with first-class investor relations.
- In the Competitiveness Rankings compiled by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Estonian Employers’ Confederation, AS Merko Ehitus won the title of the most competitive large company and for yet another consecutive year was named the most competitive construction company in Estonia.
- The Estonian Concrete Association has picked the Tondiraba Ice Arena as its building of the year for 2014. The judges’ panel said it was an architecturally simple and attractive as well as technically complicated building, built in smooth and constructive cooperation, and that the ice arena stands out in terms of making multifaceted use of concrete.
- The five-year-long operation to close the Kohtla-Järve industrial waste and semi-coke dump in north-eastern Estonia was completed. In its course, a hill of mine waste amounting to 6 million m³ was relocated, 84 hectares are replanted, a rainwater collection system more than 8 km long is installed, and 2.5 hectare lakes containing liquid oil shale mining residues are closed. The works, undertaken on a very steep slope, were rendered even more complicated by smouldering fires discovered in early 2013, which were buried by a 5 metre layer of soil.
- Eesti Energia’s 300 MW Eesti Power Plant was completed. In this project, Merko served as a subcontractor for the French Alstom consortium and performed general construction on 22 buildings. By Estonian standards, this was a very large and international construction project, as companies from close to 20 different European countries were involved in the work and the maximum number of employees approached 1,400 at peak periods.
- In Liepāja (Latvia), the Liepājas Dzintars multipurpose centre was finished. Boasting unique architecture, the facility is the new home of the Liepāja Symphony Orchestra. In addition, the Polipaks production unit was completed. It consists of three workshops, a warehouse and office spaces. Construction was performed on a 67,000 m² area.
- AS Merko Ehitus and BLRT Grupp AS founded a joint venture to establish four apartment buildings with commercial space next to the Noblessner Marina directly on the waterfront in the Noblessner Quarter, a Tallinn neighbourhood with a distinguished history. Arhitektuuribüroo Pluss (Architectural Design Office Pluss) is picked as architect of the Noblessner residential district; the winning entry at the international invitational competition was called “Kodusadam” (Home Port).
- With the aim to offer its clients a more comprehensive and high-quality service and to improve the efficiency of cooperation between the parties, Merko has introduced model designing. This modern solution allows us to create a better image of the existing building and its volume, to check for discrepancies in design solutions, calculate the construction volumes of the design project and generate visual 3D views of the design. In addition, building simulations allow us to better assess the future energy needs and management costs as well as user friendliness of the designed building.
- Merko’s visual identity got a makeover to coincide with the company’s 25th anniversary. The logo was modernized to reflect that the company is now more than a construction company but caters to the needs of end customers through real estate development and apartment sales. The new logo is friendlier, with smoother outlines, and more harmonious. As a whole, the logotype is more powerful and better integrated with the visual identity of the trademark.