Olympic Entertainment Group to establish Hilton hotel that is constructed by Merko
Entertainment Group will establish a new upscale hotel operated by Hilton Worldwide replacing the current Reval Park Hotel & Casino in Tallinn, Kreutzwaldi St. The new hotel and entertainment complex costing around 36 million euros will be constructed by Merko Ehitus Eesti and completed by the end of 2015.
According to Armin Karu, Chairman of the Board of Olympic Entertainment Group, this project is a significant milestone in the history of OEG, as it constitutes the first so-called casino-hotel, which has been designed according to the company’s own vision of the combination of a high quality hotel and top casino. “For Estonia, it will be a unique and exclusive establishment, which offers a combination of extraordinary entertainment and accommodation services for business and leisure tourists, and which can be successfully sold also to such foreign markets as Northern and Central Europe as well as Russia,” Karu emphasised.
For establishing a new hotel complex the current hotel and casino will end operations on 31 October this year. At the same time the demolition works will be commenced at the old building on Kreutzwaldi Street. It is expected that the construction of the new building will commence in February 2014 and the new building is completed in December 2015.
“It has been years since a new hotel was built in the centre of Tallinn and as a Hilton branded hotel this one will be definitely a very exclusive building. A remarkable architecture matching the Hilton’s brand adds structural complexity to high quality standards of luxury hotel. We are glad to give our big contribution to the final result – in addition to the construction, we will also manage the design process and lead as a main contractor the decorating and furnishing of the building,” said Tiit Roben, CEO of Merko Ehitus Eesti.
The existing hotel, of 8 storeys and 121 rooms that was constructed in 1969 and was initially known as Kungal Hotel, will be replaced by a 13-storey outstanding hotel and entertainment complex designed by architect Meelis Press. The new building will consist of a 4-storey low building topped by a 9-storey high building section. The lower part will hold a hotel lobby, casino, conference centre, SPA and a restaurant. The higher part will be at the disposal of the accommodation. The top three floors will be executive floors, where rooms have French balconies. The top floor of the hotel will be holding an executive lounge. There will be a parking lot under the building and, if possible, the roof will have a landing deck for helicopters.
OEG’s new flagship casino will be located at 1,600 m2 on the first floor of the complex. The hotel will accommodate 202 hotel rooms, half of which will have a view overlooking Politseipark. From 5th floor upward the rooms will be overlooking the Old Town and the sea from the side facing Gonsiori Street. Hotel’s restaurant will be approximately 13 meters from the street level, offering a beautiful view of the park. SPA will be located at the same floor as the restaurant. SPA and restaurant will have an open-air terrace with catering and lounge area that can be used in summertime. Conference centre is planned on a separate floor and will consist of multifunctional rooms of various sizes, which can be divided and merged with removable walls, offering conference service for a total of 720 people.
Facts & Figures
- Address: Gonsiori 20 / F.R.Kreutzwaldi 23, Tallinn
- Property area: 4 876 m²
- Building height: 44,9 m from ground, absolute height 54 m
- Building gross area: ca 26,500 m2, of which ca 23,400 m2 is above ground and ca 3,100 m2 underground
- Number of rooms: 202
- Suites: 26
- Standard room size: 32m²
- Restaurant: seating 122
- SPA: 18×5 m pool, rooms for treatments, fitness-centre, saunas
- Conference rooms: for a total of 720 people, the largest room holds 508 people, which can be divided with removable walls
- Elevators: 8 elevators, of which 3 are service elevators and 5 for hotel guests
- Construction elements: building’s façade is covered with solar protection glass with high transparency and granite, the facade glass and granite of the lower building section are combined with decoration lamellas with vertical elliptical cut, which reduce the intensity of the sun
- Investment: ca 36 million euros
- Architect: Meelis Press
- Main constructor: AS Merko Ehitus Eesti who will also manage the design process and lead as a main contractor the decorating and furnishing of the building
- Hotel operator: Hilton Worldwide under its upscale & full-service Hilton Hotels & Resorts brand